Friday, April 19, 2013

Chattooga River fishing




Fished with Dr. Will last week on the beautiful Chattooga River at the DH section above Hwy 28 bridge.  We started not to far from the parking lot in a run at one of the first river crossings with no luck.  It was early so there wasn't much going on in the way of hatches yet but I thought we might get lucky and hook into a few fish because the run is really nice and I've had success there before.  Well  we didn't even get a strike so we made our way upstream to some big pools to look for for fishing feeding up top and again there wasn't much going on.  So we eased into some broken water and finally found some fish in some skinnier water above the big pools.  Unfortunately, I was unable to bring those first few fish to hand but we worked up some more and Dr. Will and I both found some fish.  I didn't take out my camera but all the fish caught today were nice solid fish that were lit up with amazing colors.  We caught most fish on small midge patterns since there was a pretty good midge hatch all day long and we caught a couple of fish on the top fly as well with them taking some caddis/mayfly nymph patterns as there was a March Brown hatch early and an occasional small caddish hatch most of the day.  I turned a large fish before lunch in one run but it made quick work of my rusty trout skills as it quickly ran back towards my feet before turning and running back into the run while breaking me off.  Pretty disappointed after that fish.  We ended up working pretty far upstream in the DH and Dr. Will caught at least one fish up top while missing a few more.  I believe they weren't really taking the fly but rather slapping at it as it went by as he had numerous fish try to take his indicator as he was nymphing.  Overall a great day on the water and with a little postgame Wendy's it was on to Amicolola for our bug meeting. 


No comments: