Saturday, December 7, 2013

Hunting 2013

Well this hunting season went about as well as it could have.  Yea we had warm temps but we had a few days that were perfect as the fronts came across at the right time.  I was fortunate to get a nice 8pt in the creek on the 7th of Nov.  That's about the time when we see quite a few deer up and moving as they start cruising at our farm.  He came out by himself into the shooting lane and it was a drop in the bucked 40 yard shot after I stopped him.  After a short track and long drag up the hill we had him back to the break and on the 4-wheeler.


It was a very nice older buck and one I am very proud to take this year.  We continued to see some smaller bucks and I let a very nice 120+ inch deer go on Sunday evening right at dark but he should be around for next year for sure. 


I had a quick trip to Austin in the middle of the hunt so when I got back it didn't take Dad long to get on the board with a fantastic buck.  I was one ridge over from him Wed. afternoon when I hear a very early shot.  Well he had a nice buck walk out 30 yrds from him on his 4-wheeler at like 4:00.  Well it was a shooter and after a quick but tricky tracking job (good job finding the buck Dad) we had some great dusk light to get a picture.  It was a great set up and one that we had talked about in the past and put together a good plan to get the bucks that were crossing this one ridge from the set pines.




Well that was it as far as deer on the ground but we had a good weekend entertaining some friends and family though nobody connected on a deer.  We had some misses, some hit limbs and some close encounters as well as some good opportunities but it was just great to be out there in the woods with everybody.  I'm already looking forward to next year to chase whitetails again with Dad.  It's by far the best couple of weeks of the year.   




Below are some pictures I took while either at the cabin or on the stand.




No comments: