Friday, March 27, 2015

Long Range Shooting Update

It seems like since Sam has gotten here I haven't had a lot of time and with our fence being down for most of that and me moving the boat to a storage place until I got it back a few weeks I finally got into getting a easier kicking rifle and doing a little long rang shooting.  I started setting up my new Remington 700 Varmint in .308 right after Sam was born and it gave me something to do during the downtime that didn't take a heck of a lot of time away from the house.  I've sent quite a few rounds down range since then and Dad and I worked on his shooting lane at the farm to create a pretty cool shooting range with steel out to 600 yards. 


For Christmas Dad got a nice shooting bench so we have something to sit at and launch lead down range. 


I've done a little work on my 700: Upgraded Timney trigger, Bell and Carlson stock, Harris bipod, lapped scope rings, cheek rest, KRG bolt lift.  The scope is a SWFA Super Sniper 10x Mil/Mil.  It shoots under .75 MOA and probably lower now that I've gotten everything done to it.  I just haven't shot any groups with it that I would call consistent enough to call "groups".


At the public range two weekends ago down here in Florida I was consistently ringing the 600 yard silhouette even though the wind was gusting pretty good.  I was testing out some Black Hills ammo and both the 168 and 175 grain was shooting well through my rifle.  By the time I got shooting some groups I had shot my 7mm quite a few times working on getting a new scope dialed in so I was a little flinchy so I decided to call it without getting a nice group. 

I am headed to Tifton and will shoot with Dad in a few weeks and will get on the 100 yard target and see what I can do. Shooting out there a long ways it's pretty fun and I've had the opportunity to do a little learning and little teaching as well. Dad is getting into it as well and I've built him a rifle as well that we will be breaking in the next few weeks as well.  It's exactly like mine without the extras but with much better glass.  It looks like a shooter and we haven't sent one round down the tube yet.

No comments: